guitar cut out and other projects

IMG_20140726_102128I used the scroll saw today to cut a mini guitar/ukelele out of some scrap pine. I think it will be a clock, or one side of a small shelf? I haven’t used the scroll saw in a few months and  I wanted to practice my cuts. I will be cutting the half moon shape for the gout bench handle with the scroll saw and I wanted to see if the saw was up for a 1″ thick piece of wood.  It twas a productive day, I made progress on the mosaic for the gout bench handle too. I am gluing up some squares into a checkerboard shape with a rectangle border. Once it is dry I will cut out the half moon shape, and attach it to the handle. Once the handle is done the gout bench just needs one more round of sanding, some IMG_20140726_105244oil and final assembly. I have more scrap wood, my mom connected me with another woodworker who had scrap to pass along. It’s nice to get a variety of scrap wood. It’s fun using wood from so many sources and it ensures that no two pieces will ever be quite the same, and I like that. 

 

Cedar Chest

cedar chest lid

cedar chest lid

This winter I was given two cedar chests. Both needed work but one was worse than the other. One chest is a lane, while the other is a no name chest. The no name chest has some charm but the top veneer and is peeling beyond repair and is gouged. I have been thinking about what to do with it, I decided this week that I am going to make a mosaic top and attach it to the cedar lid. This afternoon I removed the top from the hinges and checked it over to make sure it can support the reclaimed mosaic panel. The lid surface measures 3′ 10″ X 1′ 7″,  this will be the largest surface area I have attempted to cover. I will be adding ribs to the under side of the lid to accommodate the extra weight. I hope to have something mocked up by the first week of August. The other chest I wll restore. Someone partially sanded the top so it needs a bit of love too. It just a few rounds of sand paper and a nice lacquer. 

things I find in the river

IMG_20140709_121500The other day I spent the afternoon prepping some pieces I found in the river for a new life as table legs. A couple of months ago walking home from work I found three pieces of wood that were nailed together to form a header or a sistered joist. The wood was about 10′ long. Nailing all the pieces together created a chunk of wood about 6′ thick. I have been on a quest for strong table legs and decided that it was time to start taking IMG_20140709_132312this monstrosity apart. It took a crow bar, a hammer and a rubber mallet to get it all separated. After that I was left with three pieces of wood with dozens of long rusty nails sticking out. I was able to get all the nails out but two. The two stragglers were on an end and had bent to a 90 degree angle and that made it hard to free enough of the nail head to rip it out with either the hammer or the crow bar. I cut the wood into 17”sections and will use them as the legs on my next scrap wood table. They are heavy enough to balance out the weight of the top and I like the worn look.

flea market legs

IMG_20140621_165333A few months ago mom Jess and I went to a flea market at the Bennington house of tile. i bought a wobbly table and a leather topped table. The wobbly table had a really cool worn out rustic top and these legs that did not quite match it but were cool anyway.  The table was in rough shape but had clearly been loved. I pulled brads, 4′ spike nails, and screws out of this thing. Someone had even notched out 2×4′s and added them to the apron in the hopes of fixing the wobble. The top has been problematic to restore. it was really dry, but still end up moldy and warped. I am sure I can still do something with it but the original goal of re attaching it to the weird legs is probably not attainable at this point. These legs are heavy, and really thick. I don’t know what kind of wood they are, once I sand them down more I might be able to tell. before I reassemble them to the apron I plan to trace out the pattern so I can make similar legs with a jig saw.