Tomorrow, September 26 I will be in Arlington,VT from 9 am to 5 pm for the St. James Episcopal Church 2015 harvest festival. Stop by, say hi and check out some of my work. I have a few puzzles, wall hangings and tables to sell. The weather is suppose to be great, it should be a fun day. The festival takes place on the church grounds and the arlington village green.
I make a lot of tables but I make other things too. I make shelves and cabinets but I also do small projects, like puzzles. I mostly stick to simple 4&5 piece puzzles. My most popular puzzle is a labrador puzzle. I also make a pumpkin puzzle. Even simple puzzles can be tricky sometimes. I recently took a scrap piece of 1/2 inch walnut and made a lab puzzle. It looked great but they head was not staying when the puzzle was assembled. I was frustrated but I did not want to abandon it so I set it aside and went to work on a solution. I took the assembled puzzle and traced it on to a piece of pine. I carefully cut out the dog shape. Once I had the piece cut I used as a frame to fit the puzzle. The head was still a bit wobbly so I soaked the support piece in water so it would expand a bit. It worked. I also cut out two pumpkin puzzles. I had planned on painting the pumpkins orange but I liked the look of the wood so I did a thin coat of maple stain.
I have been working on several new projects this week. I am adding a mosaic top to a beat up broken cabinet. I am experimenting with using large 1″ in diameter dowels as table legs. I am also designing and building smaller mosaic pieces that I plan to sell as wall hangings. I have an etsy store now and I need to have some items that are not too complicated or too expensive to ship. Making wall art seemed to be the the way to go. Continue reading
The guitar table I made from plywood sold at Norman’s attic so I started another one today. Most of the wood I have is too narrow to make a guitar body. That’s why I used plywood for the first one. In order to get the right size board, I would have to make it.I foūnd some pieces of shiplap, glued them together. To get a tight seal I screwed one of the pieces to the workbench applied glue to the edge and the tongue and lined the boards up. I clamped them together, when it was as tight as I wanted I screwed the other piece into the bench. After the glue dried I drew a guitar body on the wood. The last guitar table I made was shaped like Fender, this one is designed to look like a Gibson. In order to make the cutting easier I attached a block of wood to one side. This block served two purposes. 1, it protected the integrity of the glue seam. 2, It served as a handle to steer the wood through the scroll saw. I could have used a jig saw but I used the scroll saw because I felt like I had more control using the scroll saw. I am in the process of sanding now the first pass I used 80 grit paper to smooth the rough edges and remove any left over marker from the drawing. I plan t use 3/4 inch dowels for legs. It should be finished in a few days. The shiplap for this project came from the walls of a barn converted into a gift shop.