Just a few moments ago I received my Vermont sales tax collection id number. This means that I no longer am limited to selling my wares in stores and at shows that collect and remit the taxes for me. I can collect them and pay them myself. I still have to get transient numbers for MA, ME, NY and probably CT but this is a big step for me.
I had to redo the legs to the table I assembled yesterday. Even though it could hold the weight of two cats and is designed as a hall table, I decided to change the design in the hopes of giving it more stability. The legs for my very first-ever- table were made from a 4×4 cedar post. I used lag screws to attach the top. I left the screws visible and incorporated them into the design of the table. On the next table I used 1×2′s as legs and used a forstner bit to drill holes in the center of each leg. Then I inserted dowels in each post. I also placed dowels in the apron. The hard part for this design is making sure every dowel is lined up exactly. It makes for a very strong table. I have used this design with a few modifications for almost every table since. For the table I assembled yesterday I simply screwed the legs into the apron, hoping that the dowel connecting the short sides would support the load and provide stability. It did not work as well as I hoped, so I unscrewed the legs and drilled a 3/8″ hole in each leg. Then I dabbed the dowel with small amount of glue and lined it up to bottom of the table top. I used the glue mark as a guide to drill a hole in the top. I re-enforced the dowels with screws. There is still a wee bit of wiggle but it is much more stable and now I won’t be embarrassed to sign it. I also glued on two pieces of trim to the long edge of the table. I don’t have wire nails so I will have to wait until I pick some up before attaching the short side trim. I would just glue them but the distance is a smidge bigger than my biggest clamp. All that’s left to do is nail the trim, paint the trim, and apply a clear coat.
We have several dressers kicking around the workshop in various stages of disrepair. There is an old oak buffet with a secret compartment and very cool drawers that I tuned into a wood storage unit. I have an oak dresser that stands about 42 ” tall that I have plans to turn into a bench with storage. Finally, I have a maple color 5 drawer chest with broken drawers. I didn’t know what to do with it,selling it as a dresser wasn’t an option due to the drawer damage. So I decided to try to convert it into a jelly cabinet. First I took all the drawers out and ripped out the drawer rails and support braces. Then I sanded the top and treated it with denatured alcohol I did the same to the sides. When I was done I installed cleats on the inside and cut a shelf to fit and installed the shelf. Next I cut planks for a floor and installed them. I am going to paint it black and red. I have already taped off the edges on one side and painted the center panel black. I hope to get a second coat on tonight and then paint the other side tomorrow. Once the paint is done I will have to construct a door for the cabinet. I am not sure if I am going to have two doors or one. I was leaning towards two but in order to install two doors I will have to have a center post and that limits access to the shelves when the piece is in use. If I only have one door it will be large and opening it in small spaces may be a problem. Decision decisions. At the moment I am leaning towards doing one door with two small mosaic scrap wood panels framed by more scrap wood. I picked up these weird 9×9 square pieces of wood today. One has a dozen or so spirals burned/carved into it and the other has squiggly lines burned in. There are some nasty surface scratches but I think I could use those as the center for the two mosaic panels I will need for the door. Hopefully I can frame cut and dry fit the door on Monday or Tuesday. I am aiming to bring it into the store this week.
I would like to make a guitar some day. luthiery work takes years to master and there is a lot of precision involved. How many frets will the instrument have? Will it be electric or acoustic? Body shape? What kind of tone wood to use? Should you use a bolt on neck or a set neck? It’s complicated and a little overwhelming, so as a sort of warm up I have made a few guitar shaped things to practice the cuts. First I draw a guitar shape on graph paper. I use the body of an old Fender for my template. Then I transfer the drawing onto wood, mdf, plywood whatever. If it looks okay it’s time to cut. Sometimes I use a scroll saw, other times a jig saw, and even a reciprocating saw. Once the cut out is made you have to decide what to do with it. I have 3 pieces now, one is a a plywood cutout, covered in duct tape and made into a clock. I use an old circular saw blade as the clock face and a clock kit from the local hobby store. I also have a table. The table is small, maybe 16″ tall. I made it a year ago and brought it into the store last week. It’s plywood with oak legs. I did my very first ever edge band job on this table, and it was a pain. It is much easier to apply edge veneer to a straight surface. I like a challenge. I used a potato masher as a stencil to paint it and voila, an odd looking guitar table, $25.00 if anyone is looking for a small, unique inexpensive table. The last piece was suppose to be a clock too but I think it might just be an art piece. It was cut from MDF, sanded and then painted. My next guitar project is to try to make a large guitar coffee type table and a book shelf. While we are talking about guitars, I posted two more songs to 50/90 this weekend. You can hear them at my 50/90 page or on my music projects page.