I am working on finishing some old projects and starting new projects. I added a few more items to my etsy store. I am working on getting a selection of my work together for my application to the Bennington Arts Guild. I need two pieces and 3 images of my work made in the last 3 years. If I pass the jury process I will have to put at least one item in the guild store. I looked at the form today and they need an artist statement and each of the 5 pieces needs a tittle.There are other artists who work with wood but they don’t have anything quite like what I do, so hopefully I will pass the jury panel, wish me luck. It takes about a month for them to decide so if I can get it all together in the next week I should know their decision by mid November.
I am working on some new puzzles. I used a piece of scrap walnut for a pumpkin puzzle. I love walnut. it has such a nice look when it is polished. It also has a great smell. I have also been experimenting with peace sign puzzles. I taught myself to use a scroll saw by cutting out peace sign ornaments, so peace puzzle should not be too,hard, right? Wrong. When I cut other puzzles I cut the shape out first, then I cut out the puzzle pieces, starting with the smallest piece and working my way to the largest. The peace sign as I am cutting it now has 13 pieces, so instead of cutting out the circle first, I cut out the puzzle pieces and built the peace sign.. It came out okay, there were some weird bumps in the external circle so it lacked symmetry. It was sandable but I need to create a better
pattern and a better cutting strategy. One idea is to increase the size of the pieces but reduce the number of pieces, which in theory should increase the stability of the puzzle. I cut out a second puzzle that came out a bit better. It still has 13 pieces but it is 7 or so inches in diameter instead of 5. I cut the second puzzle out by first cutting the circle, and then cutting the puzzle out working from the top down, focusing on keeping the internal concave curves as uniform as possible. The plan is to leave the small one as is and oil it with mineral oil. For the larger puzzle I would like to choose three colors and paint different pieces different colors. I am also working on developing a train puzzle.